Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Hops are climbing!



As some of you know, I (Sam) have been brewing my own beer for a while now. So far, each batch I have produced has been pretty good, but something has been missing . I have been buying all the ingredients from my favorite homebrew shop (Bacchus & Barleycorn, http://www.bacchus-barleycorn.com/). They have a nice selection, and are always very helpful, but I decided that I needed a little more "home" in my homebrew. The solution? Grow my own hops!



I will spare you the details
(if you are interested in growing your own hops, you can find a nice tutorial here - www.freshops.com/gardening.html). In a nutshell, I planted several sections of hop roots back in April, and I now have hop vines climbing ropes attached to my house. In August, I will harvest the hops, dry them out, and freeze them until I need them for a batch of brew.

No comments: